Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pardon Me, Please




Gail Carson Levine's newest book, FORGIVE ME, I MEANT TO DO IT: FALSE APOLOGY POEMS (Harper 2012) with illustrations by Matthew Cordell, is a collection of original poems that take off from the William Carlos Williams' poem "This Is Just to Say." It also has a bit of the Stinky Cheese Man's playing with book parts to it as well. Simply, it is hugely funny and incredibly playful. There are apology poems (false apology poems)from characters in nursery rhymes and fairy tales in addition to selections from naughty children and aliens. High school teachers will find this incredibly useful. Middle school teachers might read some aloud as mentor texts for writing, too. And all of us will thoroughly enjoy the reading. <78>

4 comments:

  1. This looks hilarious! I can't wait to get a copy for myself, and hopefully our library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just beginning a small high school book club with a diverse group of kids and interest levels. This could be the perfect way to begin or end our time together! I can't wait to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that this is a high school book. Most of the young adult books are lengthy novels. This looks like a refreshing change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think students of any age would appreciate the sarcasm and dry-humor...it's all the rave today.

    ReplyDelete